Stanton Mott Memorial Library

Stay tuned! We are now converting to an archaeological research library!

History of the Museum

The origins of this museum date back to the summer of 1925, when a small band of men, interested in similar cultural pursuits, met in Southold to organize a Long Island Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association. The initial group included Nathaniel E. Booth, Bennett DeBexiedon, William D. Griswold, Roy Latham, Elliot A. Brooks, Edward S. Vail, Charles F. Goddard, James A. Gildersleeve, and Daniel A. Young.

In 1932, the association received recognition from the New York State Archaeological Association and a certificate of membership was granted. Over the next 11 years the group met informally from time to time, at the homes of its members. These gatherings were always anticipated with great pleasure because of the social atmosphere, the comradeship, the interesting discussions, and the display of many unusual artifacts unearthed by the members throughout the year. With the growth of the chapter, it was always the continued hope to build a small museum someday to house the ever increasing collections of its members.

In 1943 the chapter was incorporated, becoming a financially independent unit and thus establishing a corporate body which could act independently as a trustee for the chapter’s valuable material. After the death of Charles F. Goddard in 1954, the chapter received a substantial bequest. Using these funds, the chapter purchased a suitable site in the village of Southold and commissioned the construction of the museum.

In 1962, the Southold Indian Museum opened. Owned and operated by the Incorporated Long Island Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association.

“Archeological Association,” The Long Island Traveler, August 28, 1925,

“Archeological Association Chapter Formed,” Brooklyn Life and Activities of Long Island Society, August 29, 1925,

“Form L.I. Branch of State Archeological Association,” The County Review, September 3, 1925,

“Archeological Society Formed on Long Island,” The East Hampton Star, September 4, 1925,

Southold Indian Museum Newsletter

The Southold Indian Museum Newsletter (SIMuN) was published between 1986 and 2007.

Publisher: The Incorporated Long Island Chapter of the New York State Archaeological Association

Location: Southold, NY

ISSN: 1055-4866

Available Issues




Share This